Friday, December 2News That Matters
Shadow

One dead, several injured in two explosions in Jerusalem | News


DEVELOPING STORY,

The separate explosions came after a 16-year-old Palestinian was killed in the occupied West Bank by Israeli forces, according to Palestinian officials.

At least one person was killed and 12 others injured in two separate explosions that rocked Jerusalem city, according to Israeli officials, with at least two of the injured in serious condition.

Israeli police said that the incidents on Wednesday morning are suspected of being a Palestinian attack.

The explosions came hours after a Palestinian 16-year-old boy was killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, according to Palestinian officials.

The first explosion took place at around 7am (4:00am GMT) near an Israeli bus station along a highway on the western entrance into Jerusalem that is usually packed with commuters.

At least seven people were injured in the first explosion, according to medics, with two in serious condition.

The second explosion, which officials described as “controlled,” took place moments later at the Ramot junction, in northern Jerusalem.

Al Jazeera’s Alan Fisher said that the explosions were the first Jerusalem had seen “in many years”.

Reporting from Ramot, Fisher said police believe the first incident was caused by “explosives packed inside a bicycle left at a bus stop”. He added that three people were lightly injured from shrapnel.

Yosef Haim Gabay, a medic who was at the scene when the blast occurred, told Army Radio that “there is damage everywhere here” and that some of the wounded were bleeding heavily.

While the cause was still being determined, the incident came as tensions on the ground continue to rise since last year, with a sharp increase in Israeli army raids and killings of Palestinians, and a rise in Palestinian armed attacks.

At least 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israel in the occupied territories of East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip, the deadliest year for Palestinians since 2006.

At least 25 people have also been killed on the Israeli side.

Itamar Ben-Gvir, a far-right lawmaker who has called for the death penalty for Palestinians who carry out attacks, and who is set to become the minister in charge of police in the country’s new government, said the attack gave him impetus to take a tougher stance.

“It’s time to take a hard line against terrorists, it’s time to make order,” he tweeted.

Hamas, the Palestinian group which rules the Gaza Strip and once carried out suicide bombings against Israelis, praised the perpetrators of the attacks, calling it a heroic operation, but stopped short of claiming responsibility.

“The occupation is reaping the price of its crimes and aggression against our people.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *